Thursday, October 1, 2015

A Quiet Drop in Kindle Select Income and Kindle Ads Beta ...

I wasn’t going to bother writing about the Kindle Select payments anymore since they changed to the pay-per-page system. In fact, I didn’t even bother looking at the royalty per page in my last statement until just now. It turns out, the payment dropped from $0.0058 per page in July to $.0051 per page in August, or 12%.

My guess is that most of the drop could be accounted for by the addition of authors who had kept their (long) books out of the Select program because they considered the old payment scheme unfair, which it was.

I also found out last week that the source of the sponsored Kindle ads run by Kindle publishers I’ve been seeing all over the Amazon results the last month or so is a Beta program that I wasn’t invited to join. Assumedly, I missed the cut because I didn’t spend any money in the existing advertising program, which I did join when it was Beta. The sponsored ads can appear at the bottom of the search results, as this search on “science fiction”:

blog1

Or they can appear below the Also Bought list for books that aren’t part of a series (the following is from the product page for “The Martian” by Andy Weir:

blog2

I can’t speak to the effectiveness of the ads for the current users, of which there seem to be a limited number since I see the same titles all the time, but when the program comes out of Beta and everybody can join, market forces will take over and the variety will increase.

.

Source:

http://ift.tt/1M4VvJx



The Late News from http://ift.tt/1c1TX0y