Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Next Thousand and One Nights | Darkcargo


With Midnight’s Children, by Salman Rushdie, I learned to read carefully and to let go of the mania we readers sometimes get into, that we have to read fast to show our appreciation for a book. It took me about a year to read that book, and a well-deserved year it was.


I would not have understood or appreciated Midnight’s Children , the Booker of Bookers, without such a slow and deliberate read.


That was nice, and I plan take another year to read another book that deserves this kind of attention.


Today, Saladin Ahmed tweetered about his intention to send forth quotes from the Husain Haddawy translation of The Arabian Nights via @tweetthenights. He’s mentioned before his appreciation for this translator over any other.


Count me in!


There’s a deluxe edition of this published by W. W. Norton (also available on Kindle). I want to see what “deluxe” is all about, so I have this one coming to me from the library.


I have the Everyman’s Library edition. There is also a volume 2 from the Everyman’s Library which I will get in a few months.


Here’s to another year-long book journey. Who knows? Maybe it will take a thousand and one nights?


20130918-233236.jpg





Source:


http://darkcargo.com/2013/09/18/the-next-thousand-and-one-nights/






The News from http://kindakindle.blogspot.com