Wednesday, October 31, 2012

iHome IK50 Dock Works with Kindle Fire, Nook COlor, Kindle Fire ...


October 31st, 2012 by Nate Hoffelder · No Comments · hardware news



Last week I bought an alarm clock dock for the original Kindle Fire. It’s a model which was released by iHone several months ago, and while I would like to justify the purchase as being business related I really bought it on a whim (it looked interesting).


I’m glad I gave in to the impulse because it turns out this is a much more interesting dock than I expected.


It turns out that this dock, with a little bit of DIY know-how, can be modified to be used by any number of Android tablets or just about anything that charges off of a 5V USB plug.


As soon as I got the ik50, i took it out of the box and started trying to take it apart. I soon discovered that the dock component of this clock radio was actually a removable insert which can easily be removed. iHome even encouraged this by including a second insert which lacks the plugs on the first one; this was included so you could set the Kindle Fire on its side in landscape mode.


But what is even more interesting is that the insert which has the plugs uses standard audio and USB cables instead of some proprietary cables. This means that once I removed the audio cable, I could use this dock to charge my KFHD or any of a number of tablets.


None of the devices fit all that well, so I’m not sure my work is worth repeating. But the way this dock is built makes it an excellent base for DIY projects.


There are lots of Android tablets that don’t have docks but do have headphone jacks and charge via a USB port. A sufficiently motivated and skilled individual could scratch build an insert which fit the IK50.


Anyone care to give it a shot?



Tags:




Source:


http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/10/31/ihome-ik50-dock-works-with-kindle-fire-nook-color-kindle-fire-hd-and-more/






The News from http://kindakindle.blogspot.com